The University of Memphis (UofM) is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award bachelor's, first professional, master's, educational specialist's, and doctoral degrees. The SACS Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) provides assurance to students, parents and all stakeholders that the UofM meets clear quality standards for educational and financial performance. In addition to SACS accreditation, many of the academic programs at the UofM carry specialized accreditation specific to the field. To learn more about additional accreditation requirements, please contact the academic department that offers the program.

Accreditation Requirements by Program >>

Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University of Memphis.

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA)

The UofM seeks to deliver all of our online programs in every state through the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). We work through the SARA process to ensure that our programs are authorized to be offered in SARA-member states. Tennessee is a member of SARA and the UofM is an approved SARA institution. As such, we adhere to an established common set of standards for offering post-secondary distance education among member states, districts and territories. Participation in SARA is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by post-secondary institutions based in another state.

Authorization of distance education is a dynamic environment and prospective students should check this site often for updates. The UofM is currently authorized to offer online degree programs to SARA member states. It is the student's responsibility to understand current circumstances or special requirements in their state of residence. For more information about SARA, please visit //​ 

Professional Licensure

Important Note for Prospective Students: If you are considering an academic program that leads to a professional license in your state, it is highly recommended that you first seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency in your home state BEFORE 500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

to contact the appropriate licensing board in their home state to confirm whether a UofM program will meet the requirements for licensure in that state.

Important note for students interested in pursuing professional educator programs: Educator licensure and certification are regulated individually by State Departments of Education and no two are exactly alike. Students who seek admission to a UofM College of Education online program for endorsement or initial educator certification in their home state should contact their home state's Department of Education for applicable requirements rules and regulations. Students are responsible for determining whether our online College of Education program will meet their home states' requirements for certification, licensure, or otherwise advancing a student's teaching or administrator credentials.

Student Code of Conduct and Complaint Resolution

We greatly value our student experience and urge all students to adhere to the Student Code of Conduct. Please refer to this website for student expectations and student rights: Student Accountability When an issue is brought to our attention, the UofM will take appropriate action to seek resolution. Students are encouraged to pursue the UofM's internal grievance procedures for any complaint before contacting external sources for resolution. Often, it is the case that communication with the course instructor is the most direct route to resolving issues. If an issue cannot be resolved at that level, a student may contact the academic unit for guidance. If grievances are not satisfactorily resolved by the academic unit, students may file a formal complaint through the UofM Dean of Students. If grievances are not satisfactorily resolved after an internal attempt by the University, a complaint may be filed with an agency in the student's state of residence.